1979: Maath Alousi – Abu Dhabi Municipality competition entry
The renowned Iraqi architect, artist and author Maath Alousi (1938) to receive the Middle East’s most coveted architectural accolade: The Tamayouz Lifetime Achievement Award during the Tamayouz Award Ceremony in Amman to be hosted later this year in Jordan.
The Tamayouz Lifetime Achievement Award for Architecture aims to celebrate the pioneers of Iraqi architecture, is presented annually to an individual who has had a significant contribution towards the advancement of architecture in Iraq, this award was established as part of the Tamayouz Excellence Award programme of championing and celebrating the best of Iraqi Architecture.
Maath Alousi, the founder of Alousi Associates Technical Studies Bureau (TEST) with offices in Baghdad and Limassol, some of his projects include a winning competition entry for the design of a major thoroughfare within Baghdad’s CBD (Haifa Street – Al Karkh Development project), Al-Waziriya hospital, Al-Qabas Print Shop in Kuwait (1978), the Cultural and Heritage centre of Salala (1979), the UAE embassy in Muscat (1986) and the Alousi Cube House in Baghdad (1991).
Alousi lives in Limassol, Cyprus since 1989. He received his bachelor’s degree from the Middle East Technical University (METU) in Ankara and in 1964 he received his post graduate degree from the Architectural Association (AA) in London.
Academic and founder of the Tamayouz Excellence Award, Ahmed Al-Mallak said:
“We are delighted to be able to celebrate the achievements of Maath Alousi, whose work inspired and still inspiring generations of young architects. It is important for Tamayouz Award to highlight the contributions of Maath Alousi as a serious and a devoted architect, a respected artist, a photographer and an author who documented an important period in Iraq’s modern history, role models like Maath is what we need younger generations to look up to follow in his footsteps.”
More About Maath Alousi:
- Held numerous exhibitions of Paintings and Photography. 1991- 2016
- Lectured at the Higher Institute of Technology, Baghdad, and the University of Technology, Baghdad, External Examiner for MA. degree projects in urban design.
- Member of “Heritage Preservation Committee” of Baghdad 1986 – 1989.
- Member of UN HABITAT High-Level Advisory Panel for the Reconstruction of Iraq.
- Edited Nanar, journal of the Iraqi Architect Society, Baghdad 1966
- Member of the Editorial board of Imara Magazine, Baghdad, 1987-89
Wrote the following books:
- Nostos, a Tale of a Street in Baghdad. Rimal Publication 2012
- Visual Narrative of an Arab Architect Maath Alousi” Published by Al-Adib Publishing, Amman 2015.
- Topos, a Tale of Time and Place” Al Kamel, Verlak, Beirut 2017
- Thromos, a Tale of Profession.
Maath al-Alousi, “The Visual Diary of an Arab Architect” Third World Centre for research Pub. By S. S. Damlouji London: 1983.
Previous Laureates of the Tamayouz Lifetime Achievement Award:
Tamayouz Excellence Award is sponsored by; The Iraqi Business Council in Jordan, Kufa – Makiya Charity, Coventry University, Dewan Architects and Engineers, the United Nations Global Compact, Ayad Al-Tuhafi Architects, Tradex Global Ltd.