Tamayouz Excellence Award is proud to announce the shortlist of finalists for its Dewan Award for Architecture 2020. The shortlist comprises the top 20 submissions received this year for the award’s third cycle.
The entries were selected out of 100 submissions from 36 countries received this year. Selection of the finalists was selected by the senior management and design team at Dewan Architects and Engineers based on the criteria set in the award’s brief, which called on participants to submit proposals for a Youth House Complex and Plaza in Baghdad’s Sadr City.
Commended projects are those that respond to the site’s conditions, and offer solutions that are mindful of the existing context, as well as the needs of the local community. The shortlisting committee further appreciated an innovative approach among proposals.
The members of the jury panel for the Dewan Award for Architecture 2020 are:
• Mohamed Al-Assam – UAE: Chairman of Dewan Architects + Engineers
• Dr Jala Makhzoumi – Lebanon: Academic at the American University of Beirut and co-founder of Unit44
• Dr Wendy Pullan – UK: Professor of architecture and urban studies, and director of the Centre for Urban Conflicts Research, University of Cambridge.
• Dr Hassan Radoine – Morocco: Professor and Director of the School of Architecture, Planning and Design (SAP+D) and Director of Doctoral Center of Science & Technology at Mohammed VI Polytechnic University.
• Dr Davide Ponzini – Italy: Associate professor of urban planning at Politecnico di Milano and the director of the Tau-lab research group.
• Claudia Linders – The Netherlands: Principal architect at Atelier Claudia Linders and Chair Stadscuratorium Amsterdam.
• Fernando Olba – Spain: architect and the principal of Fernando Olba Arquitectura y Ubanismo, a Valencia-based practice.
• Kathy Basheva – UK: Director of Basheva Studio in London and RIBA chartered architect.
• Kerem Cengiz – UAE: Managing director for MENA region at LWK + PARTNERS.
• Ahmed Al-Azzawi – Iraq: Award winning architect and design director of AA7 Design Workshop.
The award is named after Dewan Architects + Engineers, one of the world’s most established and leading architecture firms, particularly to emerge from the Middle East. The Dewan Award is an international award that seeks to recognise design proposals that respond to local challenges in Iraq. For its inaugural theme in 2018, the award sought proposals for a school in Iraq’s marshlands, and in 2019, the theme was the regeneration of Baghdad’s Al Umma Park.
The winner’s announcement will be made following the jury’s meeting in November 2020.
The shortlist of finalists for the Dewan Award for Architecture 2020 is:
*All finalists arranged in countries’ alphabetical order
• Ola Ahmed Maged and Mostafa Hazem from Giza, Egypt
• Hamdy Hefnawy and Mennatullah Ezzat from Cairo, Egypt
• Alaa Abd Elhamed Ibrahim, Ayatullah Nasr Abdelmoneim, Habiba Amr Rashed, Sama Muhammed Elkhateeb and Mohammed Ahmed zaki
from Cairo, Egypt
• Alaa Shabana Architects from Cairo, Egypt
• Almena (Abdelrahman Adel, Abdallah Mekkawi and Hesham Emam) from Cairo, Egypt
• Team Darbunah (Sara Mostafa, Ahmed Samy, Ahmed Ashraf and Mahmoud Amgad) from Cairo, Egypt
• Hassan Mohamed Hassan Elsayed from Cairo, Egypt
• Nizar R. Jarallah from Baghdad, Iraq
• Marwa Hadi Ali from Baghdad, Iraq
• Hussein Al-Bayati from Baghdad, Iraq
• Team URUK (Dr Ahmed A. Rashid Kbah, Mohammed Rahem Abd Jawad, Ahmed abdulkhder Sahar, Ali Saad Al-Rubye, shahad majid kadhim, Rahaf Mushtaq Khudair) from Assamawa, Iraq
• YAAM Architects (Abdullah Tariq Saber Mohamed, Ahmed Aboubakr Batea Mohamed and Aya Elsaeed Abdelaziz Hassan) from Milan, Itay
• Louis Chapsal, Youssef Mekael and Corrado Scudellaro from Turin, Italy
• voo architects (Allaa Al Hishma and Neam Al Momen) from Amman, Jordan
• Zainab Khayyat and Yara Elmasri from Amman, Jordan
• Mohammed Ahmed Mohammed Elemawai from Gaza, Palestine
• 2218 Architects (Oğuz Bodur, Sara Kerimi, Nilay Altınay and Anıl Aydınoğlu) from Izmir, Turkey
• Betul Mehmetoğlu, Tuğba Habbob and Zeyna Alan from Istanbul, Turkey
• ONE Creative Environments (Jason Whittall, Dan Martyr and Fatimah Al-Muqdadi) from Worcester, UK
• Carson Reynolds from Washington, USA
Tamayouz Excellence Award is sponsored by Kufa – Makiya Charity, Dewan Architects + Engineers, Ayad Coventry University, the Iraqi Business Council in Jordan, British Airways, Al-Tuhafi Architects, Bonair Ltd, Final Fix Interiors, JT+Partners, LWK + PARTNERS, and the United Nations Global Compact – Iraq Network.