Tamayouz Excellence Award is proud to announce the shortlist of finalists for its Rifat Chadirji Prize 2020.
The shortlist comprises the top 20 submissions received this year for the award’s fourth cycle, which was themed Living Pedestrian Bridge Over the Nile River in Cairo.
The Rifat Chadirji Prize, named after the prolific Iraqi architect Dr Rifat Chadirji, is a thematic international prize that seeks designs responding to local challenges. The prize, which is part of Tamayouz’s programme of championing and celebrating architecture in the Near East and North Africa, aims to introduce local challenges to the world and invite architects, designers and planners to submit their concepts. It also aims to establish an uncompromising open source of ideas that tackle social issues through design.
While previous cycles of the award focused on challenges facing Iraq, the 2019 edition targeted the UAE with the theme ‘Barjeel Museum for Modern Arab Art’ in Sharjah. This year sees a continuation of the prize’s expansion by locating the theme in Cairo, Egypt.
The finalists were selected out of 177 submissions from 42 countries received this year. Selection of the finalists was done by the Tamayouz Award shortlisting panel based on the criteria set in the competition’s brief. Commendable designs are those that contextualise Cairo’s history and cultural identity in a contemporary manner, and that are informed by environmental conditions.
The winning designs for the Rifat Chadirji Prize 2020 will be announced in December, following a remote meeting held among the winners selection jury, which will result in the selection of the top three winners and the honourable mentions. The award’s judges this year are:
- Dr Rasem Badran – Palestine/Jordan: Award-winning architect and founder of Dar Al-Omran
- Ali Naji – Jordan/Iraq: Consultant engineer and CEO of Najmat Al-Sharq
- Professor Shabaan Taha Shabaan – Egypt: Architect and former dean of Shoubra Faculty of Engineering at Benha University
- Shahira Fahmy – Egypt/UK: Architect and founder of Shahira Fahmy Architects
- Tarek Naga – Egypt/USA: Architect and Founder of Naga Studio Architecture
- Waleed Arafa – Egypt: Architect and Founder of Dar Arafa
- Ahmed Al-Mallak – Iraq/UK: Founding director of Tamayouz and academic at Coventry University
To read about our judges, please visit our jury page.
The prizes for the Rifat Chadirji Prize are:
- First prize: The Rifat Chadirji Trophy (designed by Dia Azzawi) + $5000 + Certificate + Trip to the 2020 Award Ceremony (Flights & Hotel)
- Second prize: $1000 + Certificate + Trip to the 2020 Award Ceremony (Flights & Hotel)
- Third prize: $1000 + Certificate + Trip to the 2020 Award Ceremony (Flights & Hotel)
- PEOPLE’S CHOICE AWARD (sponsored by JT+Partners): $500 + Certificate + Invitation to attend ceremony
- Honourable Mentions: Certificate + Invitation to attend ceremony
The shortlist of finalists for the Rifat Chadirji Prize 2020 are:
*All finalists arranged in alphabetical order
- AAA-Studio (Livie Sukma Taristania, Insani Aulia Qisti and Armadhani Zula) from Malang, Indonesia
- ANIMA (Nikolai Mina and Lady Roxanne Mina) from Singapore
- Ali Khaled Elewa, Mostafa Ahmed Zakaria, Sherif Khaled Abdelkhaleq, Ebtisam Mohamed Ahmed Elgizawy and Hoda Essam Abdelmawla from Cairo, Egypt
- Arun Giant (Rittipong Tiandum and Sasithorn Tiandum) from Bangkok, Thailand
- ATELIER AZIZ ALQATAMI (Aziz Alqatami, Khalid Algharaballi, Christophe Martinese and Gilbert Caneba) from Kuwait
- Basel Paşa Haclavi, Mohammed Jawdat Hameed and Hend Osama Ahmed Abdelwahab Abdelrazek from Istanbul, Turkey
- BOJ (Youssef Ossama Abdelghany, Amr Mamdouh Ahmed, Hossam Khaled Saad and Ali Adel Moustafa) from Alexandria, Egypt
- COdESIGN (Anna Cornaro, Valerio de Divitiis, Francesco De Tulio and Maya Roufail) from Dubai, UAE
- DS Studio (Dina Sarhane, Shalice Coutu, Alex Reiner and Roman Romanov) from Toronto, Canada and Cairo, Egypt
- Lab59 Architects (Nour El Deen Khaled, Yassin El Hamaky, Mahmoud Esmat, Sherif Samir, Hany Youssef and Mahmoud Sherif) from Cairo, Egypt
- LULO (Juan Esteban Porras, Isabella Jaramillo, Jana Valentina Guevara and Avril Figueroa) from Cali, Colombia
- KarmBuild (Karim El Kafrawi, Diaa Diab, Mariam Maged, Farah Faheem) from Cairo, Egypt
- Mahmoud Kamal Darweesh and Yara Tayseer Mahmoud from Cairo, Egypt
- Mostafa Hazem and Ola Ahmed Maged from Giza, Egypt
- QHL (Qi Qi, Menji Huang and Yanyi Li) from Shanghai, China
- Soci-Archi (Ahmed Roman and Ahmed Elnagar) from Damietta, Egypt
- Tay Othman, Ayman Tawfeeq, Saif Alrudaini and Muzdalifa Jafar from USA/Iraq
- Tigran Kostandyan from Dubai, UAE
- Wael Al-Masri Planners and Architects (Wael Al-Masri, Ramzi Al-Refaee, Abdallah Foudeh and Yousef Ahmad Ghaith) from Amman, Jordan
- YAAM Architects (Abdullah Tariq Saber Mohamed, Ahmed Aboubakr Batea Mohamed and Aya Elsaeed Abdelaziz Hassan) from Milan, Italy
Tamayouz Excellence Award is sponsored by Coventry University, the Iraqi Business Council in Jordan, Kufa – Makiya Charity, Dewan Architects + Engineers, Ayad Al-Tuhafi Architects, Bonair Ltd, British Airways, JT+Partners, LWK + PARTNERS, Final Fix Interiors, and the United Nations Global Compact – Iraq Network.