On the 9th of May 2017, the school of Architecture Urban Planning Construction Engineering at the polytechnic university of Milan hosted the Tamayouz Award open day. During the open day Tamayouz launched its newest architectural initiative; The Rifat Chadirji Prize for Architecture, the theme of the first cycle is Rebuilding Iraq’s liberated areas: Mosul’s Housing.
The event at the Polytechnic university of Milan is the latest of the Tamayouz Events series in 2017 that has been hosted in Baghdad, Babylon, Amman, Irbid, Beirut, Cairo, Coventry and Milan. The open day started with a visit to several design studios followed by presentations and a round table discussion in the afternoon, during this event Ahmed Al-Mallak the director of Tamayouz Excellence Award introduced to the audience; Tamayouz Award and its objectives, Tamayouz International Award and The Rifat Chadirji Prize – Mosul’s Housing Competition.
The Tamayouz visiting delegation was comprised of judges and sponsors of the award;
- Abeer Al-Naib | Managing Director of the Iraqi Business Council in Jordan.
- Mohamed Al-Assam | Chairman: Dewan Architects and Engineers, Dubai.
- Ayad Al-Tuhafi | Director: Ayad Al-Tuhafi Architects, London.
- Philip Michael Wolfson | Director: Wolfson Designs, London and Miami.
- Louay Yousif Atrakchi | Director: Bonair Ltd.
- Katherine McNeill | Course Director at Coventry University.
- Fernando Olba | Director: Fernando Olba Architects and Urbanists, Valencia.
- Muthar Al-Salloum | Director: MAS Architecture, Leicester and Manama.
- Ahmed Al-Mallak | Founder of Tamayouz Excellence Award.
- Turath Jamil | Tamayouz Iraq Coordinator and Research at the Sorbonne University.
- Ahmed Al-Azzawi | Coordinator of the Rifat Chadirji Prize.
Tamayouz Excellence Award (established in 2012) is an independent initiative with no political affiliation, which aims to advance the profession of architecture both academically and professionally in Iraq and worldwide.
Rebuilding Iraq’s Liberated Areas: Mosul’s Housing Competition
Earlier this year Tamayouz launched its newest initiative The Rifat Chadirji Prize; aa open ideas international competition addressing to local challenges in Iraq. This prize aims to introduce Iraq and its challenges to the world and invite them to submit their ideas and to establish an uncompromising open source of ideas tackling social issues in Iraq through design.
This year’s competition theme is “Rebuilding the Liberated Areas: Mosul’s Housing”.
The Rebuilding Iraq’s Liberated Areas: Mosul’s Housing is the first step taken by any organisation, locally or internationally, to address the upcoming housing crisis in post-Daesh Mosul.
This Tamayouz Excellence Award Open Day was curated by Professor Alessandro Rocca and Giulia Setti with the support of the Dean of Architecture at Polytechnic University of Milan; Professor Ilaria Valente.
Tamayouz Excellence Award is sponsored by;
The Iraqi Business Council in Jordan, Coventry University, Dewan Architects and Engineers, Ayad Al-Tuhafi Architects, Artiginai Interiors, Tradex Global, Malachy Walsh and Partners Consulting Engineers, The United Nations Global Compact, The Grand Millennium Hotel – Amman and Eastern Holding.